Wednesday, August 6, 2008

wtf, why not...


*WARNING*


This post is going to be filled with my ramblings about things that are completely irrelevant, but are bothering me, mostly because I am moody and probably just need to take a Midol. But seriously, what fun is that? It only makes me go back to 'normal'. Who wants to be normal? It's more fun and colorful to have an opinion and make other people listen to it. I'm also not going to go easy on the swears so Mom cover your ears.


I work at the front desk of a very small company. And when I say small, I mean small, as in less than 15. We don't do any hard core selling here and everything we have here, is fine. All the vendors we have are great, they do what they are suppose to and we don't need to upgrade. Anything. Which leads me to believe that the 'NO SOLICITATION' sign on the door is there for a good reason. We don't want any. We don't care what you have or why you have it or who it's benefiting. And these are not my words. My bosses told me this when I was hired. 'We don't want anything so just shoo them away' they said. Them meaning innocent (I'm just being nice because sometimes I feel sorry for them, most of the time they are ass clowns) sales people who were 'just in the neighborhood' or 'just finishing up a meeting with our office neighbors'. It's such an uncomfortable thing for me to try to explain that we just don't want anything. I've tried many approaches, but nothing seems to work. To be honest, I feel like yelling 'Hey dumbass didn't you see the sign? It says no soliciting, meaning we don't want any and we don't want you to try to convince us that we do, so just turn around and go somewhere else you illiterate assholes'. A lot of them even look at the obnoxious sign and just keep walking right in. I guess the stem of my rant is that we usually don't get that many on any given week so it's not that bad, but yesterday, I don't know what the fuck was in the air, but we had SEVEN. Seven different people coming in from seven different companies trying to convince me that we needed Internet upgrades, post it notes, temporary staff, stickers, new office equipment, paper and metal shelving. Oh wait, correction, we had EIGHT. I forgot about the last guy who came in at 4:25. I don't even know what company he was from or what he was trying to get us to 'think about', but he was the boldest of them all. He actually asked to speak to the president. hahahhahahahah douche bag. Too bad our president conveniently closes his office door when he sees anyone come up to the door that he doesn't know so to avoid people like him. So I tell this guy that if he doesn't have an appointment he won't be able to speak to him. So he then starts asking me a bunch of questions about shipping. How much do we ship? Nothing. Who do you use when you do? FedEx. Why don't you use UPS? We just don't. On average, how much do our packages weigh? Less than 5 pounds. How many packages do you ship in a week? Next to none. So he's jotting all my answers down and then declares that 'our needs won't fit in with his company'. REALLY! The nerve. He's was the worst. It's been the same thing at home lately so it probably just makes it more unnerving. The last one at home was some guy and his awkward teenage daughter telling me about how the political aspect of global warming is out of control and it's somehow tied in with his church. Mind you that it is 930am on Saturday and I have my hair wrapped up in a towel and I'm all hot and sticky from just getting out of the too hot shower. The guys hands me some pamphlet, I shut the door and husband says (with all the sarcasm you can imagine) 'Better start reading those.' Ha Ha husband, very funny.


I was curious what the dictionaries definition of solicitation was, and you know what it said?
This: the act of enticing a person to do something wrong.


Interesting, isn't it?


So my next rant will be a little shorter but none the less more important than the first.


Why is it that just because I sit at the front desk, people think it's their business to see what I'm looking at, reading, doing, creating on my computer? Seriously, you have no idea how many times I've been just poking around on the net and someone will come up behind me and say 'what 'cha lookin' at?' Now I'm never looking at anything sinful, this is work after all, but come on. I feel like going into their offices and going around their desks just to see what their looking at. And they all have their computers conveniently facing them, so the back of the computer is facing the door. Jerks.


So these are my irritants of the week, described in full detail for your reading pleasures.


I'm out for the rest of the week, so be safe, be happy (you should be even though I probably won't but it sounds good), and thanks for listening.

Sometimes I feel like nobody does, hence the blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a drink and a bong hit. Too bad you are at work and can't have either. Too bad you don't do either. Oh well, maybe you can mellow out by pretending you don't speak english. Or if you see someone come in, put in big fake teeth and ask them--who I am? No really, where I am? Are you my best friend? Really, do you want to be? If they say no, tell them to go fuck themselves. Really, go do it now.
Just a couple little tips that help me get through my day!